Sunday, October 28, 2007

Amsterdam!

When you step off the train in Amsterdam, the first thing you notice is how the air smells. It literally smells like marijuana. It's crazy. I thought all the pot-craziness was just a stereotype but no, the air actually smells like pot. It was an interesting city though.

We didn't see too much since we were only there for the day. We spent most of it just wandering around, searching for the Red Light District. We found it, and it's very interesting. Women just stand in the windows. Most of them are talking on their cell phones. It's quite funny, they don't try to get any customers, they just stare off into space or talk on the phone. And it's only one street (or at least just one that we found) and if you don't look too closely at what's really in the buildings it's actually really pretty. There's a canal down the center where people ride boats and there's swans and ducks floating around it.

We didn't go to any of the places I really wanted to visit, which is fine because I'll be there for three days with Aaron and I didn't feel like spending 7Euro to get in the Anne Frank house or Van Gogh museam twice. I bought a good amount of souvinirs though, and got some touristy pictures.

Today is utterly boring. I couldn't find anyone to go shopping with (Venlo or Nimegijn), and everything is closed here since it's sunday, so I'm just sitting in bed with my laptop waiting for a movie to load. Later I'll do the little bit of homework I have.

Though next weekend should be awesome, SWITZERLAND. So exciting and terrifiying, hehe. Then the weekend after that will be even more awesome, because Aaron visits :) Lots to look forward to!

Love and miss everyone, as always.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

haha i got my postcard!! i guess people at 114 main street DO know me...i feel so loved.

mom said...

Ash,
So sorry you couldn't find a shopping buddy,I'll go with you any time !!!! Your so much fun to shop with- the "bargain queen!"