Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The President's Visit

(okay Siobhan, just for you, and update... haha)

So the President of Emerson College arrived yesterday. She's here to meet with the governor to try and work out the whole visa issue that's been going on. Therefore, we had a huge dinner to welcome her. It was really nice actually. It wasn't mandatory to go, but pretty much you didn't get to eat unless you went, since the caterers that do our dining hall were the same ones catering the event. We all had to dress "Smart Casual" which we took to mean dressy-but-not-school-dance-dressy. It was fun, I love dressing up!

The president used this occasion to honor all the staff members of the castle. She gave them all sorts of crystalwear gifts with the Emerson logo on the bottom. It was pretty cool. Dulcia was given high honors and such, as she should, since she's pretty awesome. Jill, Heather, and I arrived late so the table with our friends was full up. So we ended up sitting with the photographer, a teacher, and two of the dancers. It was pretty cool actually. The photographer was trying to explain to me that red wine doesn't taste good chilled. I was disagreeing. I guess my wine tasting abilities are not up to par.

Speaking of wine... they just kept refilling our glasses. I think I had about four glasses over the course of the meal before I decided to stop, leaving me with a light buzz. Some people took it a bit too far. We heard stories of a few drunken people that Dulcia rolled her eyes at. Really smart, getting drunk when the president of the college is here to make important decisions about the program... Anyway. I forget the guy's name, but the entertainment was this Dutch musician who was pretty famous in the 60s and 70s, with I think two number one hits in America. When he came on stage the teacher and photographer gasped and one was like "My parents have ALL his records!" and the photographer was like "he was my IDOL when I was 15!" so I guess this guy is a celebrity. He sang and played piano and flute (SIMULTANEOUSLY, it was cool).

The lyrics to one of the songs was kind of silly, it went like this:
Someone left a cake out in the rain
and I don't know if I can take it
because it took so long to bake it
and I'll never have that recipe again...


So, yeah, if you know that song, that's him.

It was a pretty awesome night. Afterwards Jill, Heather, and I walked to The Linden, but there weren't too many people there so we went home early. What was funny though: when we went outside as we were leaving, my Literature teacher was sitting at one of the tables, smoking, with like 15 students gathered around him as he seemed to be telling some wild tale. Pretty funny. Tonight is America Night at the bar, the busiest night for Emerson kids, but I probably won't go since I have to finish my homework before the London trip. I got an extention on one essay, so I just have to write an essay about The Oddessy. I'm totally stuck for ideas though. Any suggestions?

I'm so excited for London!!! :)

Be back blogging about it on the 14th. Leave me some pretty comments to come back to! Love and miss you all! <3

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I know that song. How funny!

Enjoy London. I can't wait to read about your trip!

Anonymous said...

cheea.

Anonymous said...

Oh gee I wonder who anonymous is, haha. I hope you have fun in London. And thank you for posting for me! You're my favorite!

Anonymous said...

hi. i hope you're having fun.
i miss you.

yours,
aaron.

Jenn said...

Hope you have fun in London! Miss you bunchessss<3

Anonymous said...

The song is MacArthur Park, written by Jimmy Webb, first recorded by Richard Harris, the actor, again made famous by Donna Summer, queen of disco. Enjoy...

Richard Harris version 1968
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p9E17DVchA

Donna Summer version 1978
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkhrTaSnpts

Jimmy Webb (composer) version 1999
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slAzJ19abww

Three Degrees version 1975
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI6Yubkz9eA

Weird Al “Jurassic Park” parody 1993
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB-QgTza3Gs