Thursday, September 20, 2007

Classes, woo.

Okay, so, for lack of anything else to talk about I guess I'll talk about my classes. Right now I'm in Sophie's Lounge and working on my essay for Ethics but it's stressing me out so I need to take a break. I have until next week to do it, but with the Scotland trip this weekend I want to get as much done tonight as I can. I already have to read all of The Odyssey by Tuesday, which I plan to do on the train/plane this weekend. I've already had to read most of it twice for other classes in the past so it shouldn't be so bad.

Anyway, classes are alright. I think I'm really going to like Creative Writing and Literature, but knowing me that's obvious. Here's my classes:

Intro to Creative Writing Fiction:
The teacher is really cool. She has us meditate. Her voice is very relaxing, kind of like something you'd expect on one of those audio book things. We have to do a short story every two weeks, but a small one 1-5 pages, then two larger ones in lieu of a final. She believes that first drafts can't have cross-outs and you need to just keep writing no matter what and kind of let go of all thoughts and such. It sounds cool, it'll be hard to get used to. I'm just really excited to have an excuse to write. I tend to write more and better when a grade is on the line. I have a good feeling about this class and teacher.

Literary Foundations:
I feel like this would be boring if it wasn't for the teacher. We're reading a bunch of old books that most of us have read before. However, the teacher is hilarious. He doesn't stop himself from swearing, he has this ridiculous Boston accent, and is just generally crazy. He wears his hair in a big hair clip. He likes to go off on tangents that include the quote, "I could have solved the war in a minute... just go over to Iraq and instead of bombs drop TEDDY BEARS!!" I'm really excited for this class, it seems like he has a lot of passion about the books as well so hopefully it'll be interesting.

Intercultural Communications:
I wasn't entirely sure what this class was about other than it was a requirement, but it seems pretty cool so far. We just learn about other cultures (mainly Dutch so far) and how they're different and about culture shock and whatnot. Yesterday a former prostitute came to talk to us. She was amazing. She's done so much in her life and isn't ashamed of any of it. She said she might even go back to sex work someday. Right now she does the more informational side of things, working in Amsterdam like that. She was cool. Next week we get to talk to two German students who spent a year in America and we get to see what it's like from a foreigner's point of view.

Topics in Philosophy, Ethics and Values:
This is my hardest class, I know already. It's abstract and different. I'm trying really hard to be into it, but I'm someone who likes direct answers and in philosophy you don't get that. Your answers are questions. It's frusterating. Also, the reading material she gives us is hard. The teacher is really nice and I don't mind the class... I'm just a little scared of the work. It's interesting.

So, yeah. This weekend is Scotland. I still have to put up the Brussels pictures, Flickr is just annoying because it takes forever to upload. Hopefully I'll have all that done next week if I don't have too much work.

Miss everyone lots! Thanks for the comments <3 love you all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heeeeeeeeey have fun in scotland :) I dunno I felt he urge to comment lol

Andrew said...

Hey Ash, looks like u have some neat classes. Hope ur having fun. xo