Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Mail is fun!

I got my package from my mom today! It was very exciting. I saw the paper in my mailbox after dinner and got really happy, then I realized the paper said I had until 17:00 to pick it up (5:00 non-military time), and it was 19:00... but the office was still open. So I waited for someone to return from dinner and they gave me the package! They said the time limit was old, and not in effect anymore. Yay! I got all sorts of little goodies, even a little black cat stuffed animal, since I joked about taking Jack (my little black cat back home) to Europe with me. Maybe I should make him a collar, since the real Jack back home has been making escape attempts and now needs to wear one.

Not much else has been happening. I had my first writing class today, and it seems amazing. The woman seems really cool. And the class isn't what people told me it would be: just spending all semester writing one or two long-ish stories. It's actually reading a bunch of short fiction, writing 1-6 page stories every two weeks in the style of one of the fictions, and then two longer fictions at the end. I am really excited to have a reason to start writing again! I've been reading this amazing book, My Sister's Keeper, and it's been sparking my imagination. Also, being surrounded by such beautiful landscape and being able to roam around Europe at my leisure is pretty inspiring as well. This is good. I was afraid I was losing my creativity.

Tomorrow, in Intercultural Communications, an ex-prostitute is coming to talk to the class. I am really excited, they sent out a bio and she seems like a really cool person. She works in Amsterdam now, but I think she works with the legal aspect of that stuff, since prostitution is legal in The Netherlands.

So... yeah. Not much happening. We sent out postcards last night. I didn't have enough to send to everyone I wanted to, but those who I promised postcards should get them soon. The rest of you will get them soon... but later. I walked to the market to get more stamps and other essentials.

That's all. Dodgeball game tonight, I'm contemplating whether or not I want to join, I thought I was done with gym class forever... though Dodgeball was one of the more favorable activities... we'll see.

4 comments:

mom said...

Hi Ash ,So it took only 6 days to get you a package !!!! I'm impressed .So happy you are being inspired to write more ,you have such talent in that area.Keep it up, we're reading it !!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashley-

I'm glad you are enjoying your studies. Keep up the great work!

I am reading, "My Sister's Keeper", too! The author's previous book, "Perfect Match" was also very good.

Come on folks, give Ash some more love and post her lots of Comments! I'm especially talking to you Blom relatives!

:)

Anonymous said...

ahhh My Sister's Keeper is such a good book!


and i better be getting one of those promised postcards, or else.

<333333 Jenn

ashleyblom said...

I have "My Sister's Keeper" and I have read "Perfect Match" too. Both are excellent. I love hearing all about Europe....keep us updated!om