Sunday, September 16, 2007

I Enjoy Brussels! (Not the sprouts...)

An updated list of my favorite cities:
1. Boston
2. New York
3. Montreal
4. BRUSSELS

Oh my goodness. From the delicious waffles we enjoyed upon entering to the amazing free concert last night, Brussels was one of the best places I've visited in my life so far. I had no idea what Brussels had to offer aside from maybe chocolate, waffles, and the French language, so I didn't have many high expectations other than being able to say "hey I've been to Belguim!" No. Oh my goodness. The city is BEAUTIFUL. Not all parts, some were a little dingy, but the arcitecture was so pretty.

Aparently the town mascot is Le Mannekin Pis, this statue of a little peeing boy. And they dress him up for special events. It's really funny. There's a rumor that he pees beer during special occasions. There's also a rumor that he has a sister, a little peeing girl, but we couldn't find her anywhere.

Last night was amazing. Our friend Eric wanted to go to this dance club, and we scoured the city but found no such club. Just when we thought hope was lost, we heard bass. We followed the sound until we got to this huge outdoor concert playing techno music. We couldn't get in, but standing across the street we could see and hear perfectly. The music was loud and fun but no one inside the concert was dancing. They were just standing and drinking. So, of course, we all started dancing. It was awesome. People were waving to us and taking pictures (probably thinking "wow those stupid Americans!" but who cares?) But people started dancing. Then some Belgian people danced with us, so we had this group of us dancing across the street from the concert. People sent us drinks! Which was cool, but we didn't drink them just to be safe. Then later, one of the people who sent us drinks went on stage and performed. It was nuts. And so much fun. One of the girls who danced with us was a 16 year old girl named Kristina who had just moved to Brussels from Russia. She was really cool, we got her email so we can keep in touch.

Today we just wandered around more, got lunch, had more waffles. The waffles were to DIE for. They were so much better than our waffles here. So much sweeter and just all around better. I had mine with strawberries (fresh! not canned!) whipped cream AND chocolate. Amazing. So good. I miss the waffles.

I have to get to my homework now, we came home early so that we all could catch up on work. Next weekend: SCOTLAND!!

No comments: