Friday, September 14, 2007

The Dutch put sauce on EVERYTHING

So, another day where not much happened. I had a 10 am class and then no class the rest of the day. I ate lunch, napped, did homework, ate dinner, watched episodes of my favorite tv shows back home online, and then ordered pizza with Heather and Jill. Tomorrow I have another 10 am class, so I probably should go to bed soon.

I am scared to get money out of the ATM since our friend Shawna had both her debit and credit card eaten by the one in town. No one else has had problems, but she has the same bank as me so I'm a little weary. Though another girl also has the same bank and she was fine. I still have a good amount of cash left from what I changed over in the US, but I'll need more soon with all the trips we're going on in the coming weeks. Tomorrow Jill and I are going back to Venlo to shop around, I'm going to try the ING bank there. It's a bank that exists in the states so hopefully it'll work fine. Shawna used my Skype to call the bank and we all got to hear the RIDICULOUS conversation that ensued. She was transferred to Visa, and back to the bank, then to Visa again, then was disconnected twice, talked to five different people that told her different things, was told she could get a new card overnight, then told she had to cancel her card, then told that she was getting sent a new one. It all ended ok, hopefully she'll get a card soon. Both her credit and debit are gone, meaning her first trip this weekend had to be cancelled.

Not much else to say except that I am craving some choice American foods. I really wanted a hamburger the other day. Not McDonalds, just a juicy cookout hamburger with lettuce and tomato. Then today I wanted buffalo tenders. I also wanted a hostess cupcake. None of these things exist in Dutch. I was not impressed with the pizza we ordered tonight either. Hopefully the cravings will go away soon and I'll grow accustomed to Dutch food more... not that the food here isn't good, it really is, I just miss my messy greasy comfort food back home. Oh, and the title of this post: every night at dinner, regardless of WHAT is for dinner, there is a sauce to put on it. I never know what the sauce is, but it's always there. A new one every night. With the exception of last night's calimari, all the food here has been good. The sauces have also been good. It's just amusing to me that every dish has a sauce.

Aaron coming to visit is becoming more of a reality every day! I'm trying not to get TOO excited, lest something go wrong and he can't come, but still. It'd be nice to see a face from home. Especially such a cute one ;) And more cute faces from home: Mom and Val are meeting us during our London trip then we're going to Paris (we=Me, Heather, Jill, Mom, and Val). I booked the chunnel tickets today. Still have to book a hostel for the second half of the Paris trip (so mom if you're reading this don't cancel it just yet). The Chunnel was a hassle enough. There was a problem with the address to where they should send the tickets, I gave the castle address but I don't know if it went through correctly so I'm waiting for an email from the company and I'll call tomorrow if I don't get one by then. But I'm sure everything will work out and it'll be fun times :)

Sleep now. Love and miss everyone, leave me comments full of love!

2 comments:

mom said...

Good morning....or 'evenin'Ash, I'm not sure which.Scarry about the card, did your friend notify the bank she was going to be using the card in Amsterdam? Let me know if you have any problems-take your cash out near the castle -not out of the countryn in case you have any trouble ,your near home base.
I love that greasy food too,and sauce yummm.Great about Aaron.
I'm missing you ..this much.Sending you lots of love,be carefull this weekend xoxox Mom

Anonymous said...

Ashley! I'm missing you ... this much! One whole dot more than you're mom :)

Only joking, I'm a smartass I <3 you lesa :)